Friday, May 04, 2007

Rediscovering Music

As I mentioned in my previous post, I went through a period a few years ago when I couldn't listen to music. At all. Music made me unbearably sad, even when listening to otherwise joyful songs. (Perhaps especially then.) I even got depressed at a live Michael Franti & Spearhead show. For those who don't know the reference, let's just say that it takes some doing to remain unaffected by their infectious, inspiring energy, much less to grow actively demoralized.

In contrast, last night I spent several hours online sampling bands I thought I might like, based on write-ups in Paste (a new favorite magazine). What a gift to dive back into music and to want to discover new bands again. I still have my handful of bands that I adore, listening to them over and over and hearing new things within the years-familiar texture. But that itch to spread out had mainly left me.

I'm encouraged in part because I suspect the thrill of discovery will extend to my own work as well. Tender buds of wanting to write songs again are starting to poke their heads up. Nothing that has ripened into putting pick to guitar string yet -- but that "yet" is all-important.

In the meantime, I'm letting the new music work its magic in my ears, adding nutrients to fields that have lain fallow for several seasons now. Nothing to do for now but wait and watch to see what grows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home